Discover comprehensive insights into the Rhode Island cannabis expungement process through these detailed and informative Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
How did Rhode Island handle expungements for cannabis?
Rhode Island has set up a process via the 2022 Rhode Island Cannabis Act to allow individuals to expunge prior misdemeanor or felony convictions specifically for cannabis possession by July 1, 2024
- The expungement process under this Act is automatic for those eligible convictions related to cannabis possession, use, or purchase that are now legalized by the Act (1 oz. or less anywhere, 10 oz. within the home).
All felonies? Only non-violent?
The Act provides for the expungement of all misdemeanor, felony, or civil violation convictions specifically related to the possession of marijuana before July 1, 2024.
- It’s important to note that convictions for the delivery or manufacturing of marijuana are not eligible for expungement under this Act.
Were there any crimes related to cannabis that disqualified someone from applying as a social equity applicant?
The legislation establishes a process for individuals to expunge prior misdemeanor or felony convictions for cannabis possession by July 1, 2024.
It stipulates that a criminal conviction for cannabis possession cannot automatically disqualify an individual from eligibility for employment or licensure in connection with a cannabis establishment.
Status of Current Social Equity Program:
While not established yet, the Cannabis Control Commission is tasked with creating a social equity policy that designates a quarter of future licenses to be held for social equity applicants.
How Can Point Seven Group Help?
The team of cannabis consultants and professionals at Point Seven Group have worked extensively in the U.S. and international cannabis markets and are familiar with the unique challenges of the cannabis industry. Follow us on social media to stay up to date with more cannabis industry updates!
- Indiana Cannabis Legalization: 2024 UpdateThe Midwest has become a bustling hub for cannabis policy and industry, with states like Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio leading the charge in cannabis legalization. However, Indiana’s stance on cannabis remains a topic of significant interest and debate. As we delve into the status of …
- Cannabis Expungement and Social Equity: Proven & Failed ConceptsIn the realm of cannabis expungement and social equity, examining both proven and failed concepts is crucial for understanding the complexities of justice reform and equity within the cannabis industry. Proven concepts include initiatives such as automatic expungement processes, which streamline the clearance of certain …
- Washington Cannabis Expungement & FeloniesDiscover comprehensive insights into the Washington cannabis expungement process through these detailed and informative Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). How did Washington handle expungements for cannabis? Through the Marijuana Justice Initiative, individuals convicted of misdemeanor marijuana possession offenses who were 21 years or older at the …